Monday, July 2, 2012

Face Your Fears, Embrace The Challenge!


A couple days ago my family and I embarked on our very first whole foods grocery trip. I was armed and dangerous with my list of items I would need to kick off our first week of Plant Strong eating. To make it simple I chose to go to www.engine2diet.com and print off their “Week 1” shopping list and meal planning menu. To be honest, the shopping trip was a bit overwhelming as there were many items I had never heard of. My husband and I got to know the store employees quite well as we’d quiz them on where certain items can be found and what certain vegetables looked like. It was quite hilarious! Lesson 1: Change isn’t always easy, be prepared for challenges.
I’ll admit that while we were loading up our grocery cart with vegetable after vegetable; there was a bit of a fear in the back of my mind that we wouldn’t actually eat all this stuff. I had a fear that I wouldn’t follow through. A fear of giving up. Every time that nagging fear would creep it’s way into my brain I would remind myself that "it’s time for change and I’m choosing health for our family!"
Yesterday was our first day of eating all three meals from the Engine 2 menu plan. We began our morning with Rips Big Bowl (so delicious and filling - it’s fun adding different nuts and fruits to our liking), for lunch we made hummus veggie pitas and for dinner we had a tofu vegetable stir fry. I can’t leave out our decadent dessert - chocolate mousse using silken tofu! My husband is happily surprised to find himself enjoying each item I’m preparing.
The biggest surprise for me so far is how drastic my taste-buds have changed! Three weeks ago I craved nothing but a juicy hamburger loaded up with tons of cheese (and throw in some bacon for extra measure). I would’ve NEVER been interested in eating vegetable anything. I would encourage anyone whose having these same types of thoughts to just give it a try. You will be surprised at how quickly your body begins to crave what truly nourishes it - you will be full and satisfied with plant strong foods and the best part is; you can eat without any guilt and any calorie counting!
This is a picture of our open-faced sandwiches we had today for lunch. I toasted up some whole wheat whole grain bread, spread some vegenaise on it (or you could use the no-oil hummus), layered with sliced cucumber, tomato, arugula (if you’ve never tried this lettuce you have to go to the store and get some! It has the most surprising peppery sweet flavor), alfalfa sprouts and avocado. Again -- the whole time I was making this sandwich I was questioning myself in the back of my brain whether I’d really eat this and enjoy it. My fear is always that I’m going to have to force myself to eat something I don’t like. Time and “thyme” again I’m proving to myself that these plant based foods are absolutely delicious and thankfully I’m not having to pinch my nose to eat ;)


Bottom line: face your fears, you'll be so glad you did!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post Tori! It seems like just yesterday I was going through this same journey. It's hard to believe that was almost a year ago. The fear will diminish as you begin to experience all of the health benefits and begin to see what real food tastes like again! This sandwich looks incredible. Will you post the recipe?

    Thank you for sharing your journey. I'm inspired and reminded once again why this was the best choice I ever made - plant strong!

    ReplyDelete