Friday, September 28, 2012

A Personal Area of Conviction


I’m going to stray a bit from my typical posts. I named this blog “Thyme For A Change” because I wanted it to encompass ALL aspects of my life that are in need for change. Though health and nutrition seem to be one of my main focuses on this blog; even more important is the change that must be taking place, constantly, on the inside. We can treat our bodies to the best nutrition and health; but if we neglect our spiritual health we might as well consider it all in vain. As Jesus once said, “Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing.”

For those of you who don’t know me, I am a follower of Jesus. With that being said this post is coming from a biblical world view of things. I felt led to share my heart despite how difficult it’s going to be to admit my failures. 

Along this journey of discovering who God is and what His purpose is for me while I’m here; I keep being reminded of those who have less than me. I don’t consider myself to be wealthy - in fact I see my family as being very average in terms of economy. However when you compare what we have, to those living in third world countries, we are BEYOND wealthy. Time and time again we are reminded in scripture that God loves the poor. We are instructed to not draw a line in the sand and distinguish between the superiority of the rich man verses the inferiority of the poor man (The book of James has a lot to say about this). The Proverbs are filled with wisdom in how we are to view the rich and poor. The gospels are full of instruction from Jesus’ own lips on how we are to treat our neighbors.

The new commandment He gives to us is to “love the LORD with all your heart, soul and mind” and THEN to “love your neighbor as yourself”. There are many different words for “love” in the greek vocabulary. This particular passage uses the greek word “Agape” which is a sacrificial love. It’s the love that Jesus had for us when He sacrificially gave His life for us on the cross. This is the same type of love that we are called to give to others. Including the hard-to-love people.

God has been doing quite a work on my heart these past few weeks as I’ve been spending time reading about David. God chose him to be King over Israel -- not because of physical stature or what man could see by his eyes; but because of his heart. God said that David had a heart like His. God doesn’t choose to love those who look lovely on the outside... He’s not looking for charisma, beauty, likeability, financial status (rich or poor). “For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” 1 Sam 16:7.

I recently watched a movie which I’m not sure whether to give it a recommendation as it was quite crude and grusome - filled with profanity (it's based on a true story by the way). The openning first scenes are the most offensive - but then it’s amazing to watch as this man turns his life to God and becomes renewed. I suppose that’s how life is. Full of crude moments and profanity. That’s who we are without the saving grace of Jesus. We are dead in our tresspasses and the best parts of us are even filthy rags to a perfect God. YET, even while we were dead in our sins and unlovely and undeserving, He came from heaven to be a man like us... live a perfect life... and die for us. Can you imagine dying for someone disgusting and unlovely? But that’s what Jesus did for us. So getting back to the movie ;) This man leaves his life of drunkeness, drugs and evil - and goes on a missions trip to the Sudan. He sees the life these children live... constantly fearing for their lives, literally. God uses this man to fund a gated community to protect as many as he could fit. At one point in the movie he’s in desperate need of more finances so he can purchase a vehicle to rescue more children - he asks for a donation from his wealthy friend who sends him away with $100 and tells him “sorry man, things are real tough.” Tough?! In comparison to WHAT?!!! 

I felt like a knife stabbed me in the gut. I was immediately convicted about the treasures I’m storing up for me here on earth - which is really showing neglect to the poverty stricken people who God loves and died for. Should we merely send missionaries over there to tell them God loves them and be well. Or should we back up those claims with tangible evidence that God loves them. Aren’t Christians called to be His hands and feet? How can we do that if we’re only giving lip service?

My loving husband has the most generous heart!
I’m convicted each time I pick up my Louis Vuitton handbag. Though I have such a sweet memory of my husband surprising me for my birthday by taking me to the store to pick it out... I’m convicted by what the bag represents. I feel like it’s a reflection of my true heart. I am not in any way saying that people who carry around one of these bags (or any other name brand designer item) is wrong; because it’s not the item itself but the heart behind that item. For me, I think I wanted that purse because it represented a certain social class I wanted to be apart of. Perhaps I wanted to look a certain part. I wanted to distinguish myself as someone having “more” from those who don’t. Oh my word can I turn the knife anymore in my gut right now. It’s embarrassing to admit, to put my sin on display this way, but I hope it might inspire others to examine their own hearts.

To my Christian sisters - will you join me in praying that God would be at work in our hearts to make us more like Him? That our desires would be correct and that we would strive to be more like Him rather than the world? That we wouldn’t trust our own hearts, because to do so is to be a fool (prov 28:26); but that we would give to the poor out of what we already have; that we would stop hiding our eyes from those who are in greater need (prov 28:27). We don’t need to wait for an abundance in our bank account; we merely need to give out of the abundance of our hearts. Knowing that it is God who gives to us and His desire is to save ALL. 

I hope I haven’t stepped on any toes -- or perhaps I should pray that I do? In any case, my Louis Vuitton will be among the first of items to sell. It’s “thyme” that I be obedient and break down the walls that separate me from others. It’s time that my wallet gives evidence to where my heart and faith really lie.

“Sell what you have and give alms; provide yourselves money bags which do not grow old, a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches nor moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” - Luke 12:33-34

4 comments:

  1. Now the knife is in my gut and it needs to be there. Thank you for this post. I needed to hear it. It was a timely word that was needed at this moment and I'm blessed by your obedience to share your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tori, I am so unbelievably proud of you! Can I just say that! This post brings tears to my eyes, on so many levels - I wouldn't even know where to begin explaining! Maybe one day I will get the opportunity to try but for this I will leave it at that! You are such a wonderful, inpsiring, beautiful person and I am so glad to call you my friend! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tori, thank you for your honesty and your inspiration. It is inspiring to see someone display such courage and strength of character to put display their heart for all the see. Thank you for allowing me to be in your space...even if its only virtually. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, friends, for the sweet encouraging comments! And Jessica, you're "allowed" in my space anytime ;) If you're ever in VA you'll have to come visit and I'll cook you dinner!!

    ReplyDelete