Saturday, September 8, 2012

Get Ready for Monday!


So! It just dawned on me that my husband and I will have to find a new restaurant next year to celebrate our anniversary. It’s little memories like these that pop up and make you realize that you’ve changed and now it’s time to make NEW memories and NEW traditions. Each year for our anniversary we’ve always gone to my most favorite steak house - Ruth’s Chris. And every time we go I always order the same exact dish. Perfectly grilled Filet Minion topped with crusted bleu cheese and served on a sizzling platter of butter. If you didn’t notice - that’s a dinner consisting of meat, dairy and more dairy (talk about animal protein overload)! For a split second I questioned myself if I’d be willing to consider just that one day (out of 365 days) a “cheat day” and just indulge a bit. 

I never thought this day would come but the mere thought of taking a bite of that grease ladened steak literally grossed me out. It’s amazing how much your tastebuds change for that which truly nourishes your body once you get rid of the addiction to animal foods. Did you know that food cravings follow the exact same neural pathways as drug addiction? Give yourself two weeks without it and you’ll find that your body stops craving it. My 7 year old daughter is proof of that fact; my girl who once LOVED her cheese & yogurt is now grossed out by it and can’t believe her school friends eat it. I asked her if she lets her friends hear her disgusted “ewwww” sound and thankfully she said “no I just say it in my head”. She cracks me up!

Anyone whose considered taking the plunge to go Plant Strong has gone through the questions of “will I feel deprived?”, “I can’t possibly live without my cheese!” and “how many varieties are there to cook a bunch of plants?!” It makes me laugh now. Come to my house for a meal and you’ll see just how deprived our poor little family is (that’s sarcasm by the way).

This week I thought it’d be fun to tackle many of the myths that surround a diet change such as this. Some people call it Vegan others Plant Strong; however you call it the “myths” are still the same. I’ve really enjoyed interacting with many of you on our Facebook Page -- the common thread among all of us is we each have or have had the same questions upon considering making the change to go Plant Strong. What better way to answer those than to tackle them all week long on what I like to call our “Myth Busters Extravaganza!”  It will be a fun week tackling the Top 7 Myths (over 7 days) that surround this diet as well as educating us on this fun journey to health!

Until Monday...

Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment